Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recognize people who are amazing at talent optimization on LinkedIn & we'll donate $10 for every shout out to Triangle, Inc.
Click on the green "Make A Better World" button towards the upper right hand side of the site to learn more.

What makes a great boss?

Today is National Boss's Day! What do you think makes a great boss? Why?

Comments

• There are so many traits to mention, but I'm going to focus on honesty and courage (they go hand-in-hand).

Great bosses have the courage to give honest, tough feedback when necessary (delivered with kindness, of course). They also have the courage to be honest about their own shortcomings—and to talk openly about the things they're actively working to improve in themselves. In this way, they set an example for others to follow.

• I think a great boss is someone who leads by example...and I don't think that means bosses have to be down in the weeds and not operating at a more strategic level. This is not an original thought, but one that I think needs repeating.

A great boss considers/listens to different perspectives, finds opportunities for direct reports to level up and gain new skills, and sets an example of reliability and thoughtfulness for people across the organization.

• In my mind, a great boss takes an interest in you both personally and professionally. My favorite managers have served as a sounding board for important career decisions, whether within the company we worked in or externally, and have actively worked with me to enhance my personal and professional skills.

I think another crucial quality of a great boss is their willingness to listen to you, even if you disagree (or perhaps, especially if you disagree). The best managers will actively listen and consider your perspectives.

• For me, a great boss is someone I respect. In order for me to respect a boss, I have to trust them. I find this often means I have to see them as experts, I have to think they are honest, and I want to feel that they have my best interest in mind. I think this is important because those are the things I provide in return: expertise, honesty, and the best interest of the company (which hopefully makes my boss look good).

• I think authenticity is the number one character trait for me. I personally respond well to leaders who seem “real”, authentic or genuine. I have witnessed that others respond positively to an authentic leader as well.  Authenticity inspires many other important things such as trust, honesty, and vulnerability. I had the privilege to work with such a leader, the CEO of a previous organization where I had worked. He never prepared slides, or scripted his talks when addressing the company. He just stood up and shared what was going on in the organization and sometimes what was on his mind.  At times he allowed himself to be vulnerable or admit a mistake.   He answered all employee questions as honestly as he could – giving a real answer – not the fluff we sometimes expect.  He had an amazing gift of giving the real feedback – what someone truly needed to know; and no matter how bad it was, in the end, most folks thanked him for his candor. I believe this is all because of his ability to an authentic leader.

• There are many leadership traits of great bosses. But, a few I witnessed this week personally from a client. Humility, sincerity, and honesty. During a team facilitation, this leader asked their organization to embrace the growth challenges they are facing. By admitting struggle, frustration, and "low battery" due to operating outside of their natural strengths, this leader inspired and won over their team. It was really awesome to witness. Most importantly, your people need to see their leaders as human. They need to see them willing to face the struggle and stretch into areas of growth. By doing so, chemistry and camaraderie grow. Business will thrive!!! ~Kinsey Management👍️