Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recognize people who are amazing at talent optimization on LinkedIn & we'll donate $10 for every shout out to Triangle, Inc.
Click on the green "Make A Better World" button towards the upper right hand side of the site to learn more.

Active Disengagement

Managers- have you ever had an employee that is your top performer but lately has been missing deadlines, projects, and forecast?

How can you identify the root cause of this active disengagement?

What steps do you put in place to get them back on track and elevate them back to the top performer you know they can be?

Comments

• Hi Priyanka,

I love this question and think it's an important one that spans across industries - I've had this happen many times... here's how I went about it:

Before identifying the root cause, think about these other factors:

• Did something happen recently within your organization to increase stress (ie. change of manager, change of goals, new processes or products that they're unfamiliar with)?
    • Has the top performer shared any information to their direct manager or another member of management?
    • Did they recently go for a promotion and were passed over? What was the reason?

Then start a conversation and lay it all out on the table. That’s HOW to identify where the disengagement is with the employee.

I think together there can be a coaching plan or action plan (something tangible) made to get them where they once were with their performance. Leverage their performance - their strengths, their areas of improvement and next steps in their career that they’re working towards. Ensure that the plan has actions (what are you responsible for and what are they owning and also what are the dates for the actions to be completed).