This Week's Leaders

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recognize people who are amazing at talent optimization on LinkedIn & we'll donate $10 for every shout out to Triangle, Inc.
Click on the green "Make A Better World" button towards the upper right hand side of the site to learn more.

Comments

• One of the authors premises is that people intrinsically seek joy. I believe people intrinsically seek pleasure, not necessarily joy. It's possible that joy is a by-product of pleasure-seeking, but "pleasure seeking" is much more well-documented than "joy seeking" (215 results vs 3 results in the APA PsycInfo database).

Another premise is that "joy arises from a combination of harmony, impact, and acknowledgment." I'm not sure how the author came to that conclusion either. This was a study seeking correlation, not causation.

The main results (according to this article) are that "employees who reported feeling more joy at work strongly agreed with each statement much more frequently than did employees who said they feel less joy at work."

Does that mean that employees who report more joy feelings are more agreeable? Are they more likely to say 'Yes' when asked a question about harmony, impact, or acknowledgment? The study simply shows that people who 'strongly agree' to the harmony, impact and acknowledgement statements also report higher degrees of joy. As with many scientific studies, I think the data set poses more questions than it answers.

Finally, how do you measure feelings of joy? The article doesn't go into this.

I think the jury is still out on this, @Scott Burgmeyer.