This Week's Leaders

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recognize people who are amazing at talent optimization on LinkedIn & we'll donate $10 for every shout out to Triangle, Inc.
Click on the green "Make A Better World" button towards the upper right hand side of the site to learn more.

What do you use as leading indicators of the health of your team or organizational culture?

edited July 2019 in Diagnose

For those that monitor the state of their team/company culture on an ongoing basis, what numbers (and as a consequence, trends) do you look at to tell you whether things are going great or whether its time for an intervention or some sort?

Tagged:

Comments

• @Jacqueline Dube @Mike Zani @Daniel Muzquiz - your thoughts on this from a company wide perspective would be invaluable here.

@Matt Poepsel Id love to hear your thoughts on this topic too.

• This is a great question. Having a benchmarks around important people data and then being able to look at that data regularly really helps to identify if you may need to start an intervention or look into if something is going on in your organization. We use our annual experience survey to determine that benchmark and set goals for the organization to work on for the next 6 -12 months. Then we have a pulse survey that indicates if the action we are taking is making a positive or negative effect. Other indicators could be a shift in your turnover or retention data, a change in participation in company sponsored events etc. In addition, an increase or decrease in applications for open positions, or time to fill rates changing. The important piece of the puzzle is to collect people data that is important for your organization and then to monitor it regularly so you can understand what is happening in your organization.

• @Jacqueline Dube That's a great process you laid out.

Just to clarify, the number that you look at as part of the annual experience survey is the overall Employee Engagement score, correct?

• @Anuj Adhiya We look at overall engagement numbers, but also the factors that correlate to engagement around, job, team, manager and organization. This gives us the actionable areas to focus on improvement.

• Jackie's approach provides a powerful organization-wide view of health and culture. I think it's important to complement this central view with the perspectives "from the shop floor".

As a functional leader, I encourage the leaders who report to me include discovery questions about culture in their 1:1s, and I try to do the same. Asking questions in these areas reinforces to our team members that we care very much about these important topics, but it also helps us determine very quickly if we're experiencing some sort of issue.

I don't want to see a situation where a leader considers cultural reinforcement and welfare to be "HR's job". As leaders, we each have to do our best to reinforce and nurture the organizational culture we've worked so deliberately to create.